That seems messed up.
Discontent is a restless desire for something one does not have.
How can you be happy when you’re discontent? Seems like the opposite should be true.
This week I found happiness in my discontent so I thought I’d share it with you.
In the beginning of this week, I noticed that I wasn’t all in on what I had planned out for my week.
My brain wanted to rebel and tell me I needed to do something different.
Then I realized something.
I realized that I felt the same way about last week and I realized that last week I was excited when I thought about this week, until it came to taking the actions I had scheduled myself to do.
Last week was a week of going out in the world and meeting with people, lots of people. The week did not include time at my desk “getting things done”. I had planned this week out several weeks ago, with strategic intention, yet all my brain could tell me in the moment is how I should stay in the office and “get things done”, it told me to just stay home and go to the meetings next time. When I thought of the week ahead, my thought was “I’ll be able to get things done.” and I did indeed, have my calendar charted out to get things done.
Until Monday morning came and I faced the scheduled tasks where my mind was telling me that they really weren’t that important, rest and procrastination would be so much better.
Alas, I’m on to this primitive brain of mine!
So, how do we get ourselves to follow through with our commitment ahead of time?
That’s what I’m talking about today as I take a deeper look at what we’re creating for ourselves and how to turn it around so that you don’t just cave into your primitive desires.
- The first step is awareness. Just start to notice this pattern in your life and be curious about it. Expect it. Your brain is always wanting to protect you and steer you towards the simple, more pleasurable choice. Remembering this IS always the choice you can take but will you like the results it produces for you?
- Ask yourself what reasons you had ahead of time for where you are right now. When we plan things out ahead of time, we do so with our best intentions, like the meal plan that will get us to the goal we have of losing 25 pounds. Remind yourself what those reasons were and what result these actions are going to get for you when you delay gratification. Also ask what result you will get when you choose ease, comfort and pleasure by seeking immediate gratification.
- Ask yourself if you really like your reasons. Be honest. If you planned with intention, you have an ultimate result you’re hoping for by taking those actions. If you allow your primitive brain to run the show you’ll never get a result that allows you to assess your next step. If you find you don’t like your reasons then ask yourself why. Are you telling yourself to do said actions because everyone else is? Are you doing them to make someone else happy? This will never work. I want to challenge you to do you and be all in on your why.
- Think about the result you’ll get when you delay gratification, see #2.
- How will you feel when you give in to immediate gratification? See #2 again.
Lastly, I’d like to suggest that you plan your schedule at LEAST 24 hours in advance, with intention and love your reasons. As we get closer and closer to the time we said we’d do something our primitive brain will start kicking and screaming – harder and louder.
All you have to do is buckle it into the car seat and tell it you hear it, but today you’re going to choose you.
My Awaken(TheTrue)You program is for people who want to discover their true self, discover the missing key, find their purpose and then start building a legacy from pure power. I have made it my mission to show you how.
I’d love to offer a free call for you to work out whether or not my program and life changing promise is a fit for you. Either book your call now or send me an email with your availability before your subconscious primitive mind tells you to run and hide.
Please share this message with anyone who you think might benefit from hearing this it and join my mailing list where I send out weekly tips on how to start building love and confidence within yourself.
If you’d like to get more empowering emails delivered straight to you and never miss another post please get yourself signed up for my newsletter!